Monday, February 13, 2012
Pizza, Brownies and Sandwiches - Fun Food Ideas for Valentine’s Day | Family Economics
Despite the many warnings from my mom as a kid, these days I love getting to “play with my food” around holidays. With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I thought it best to share some fun and simple ways for you to incorporate a little heart-y love into the food you’ll be enjoying.
I shared some Valentine’s breakfast ideas last week, and here are a few more ideas for snacks and lunch.
• Sandwiches – Use a larger cookie cutter and cut your favorite sandwiches into the shape of a heart.
• Pizza – Roll out the pizza dough and cut the dough with a large cookie cutter. Then bake for five to seven minutes before adding the sauce, toppings. Bake until cheese has melted.
• Pepperonis – If you don’t have a large cookie cutter to cut the pizza dough, you can still make a fun and heart-y pizza by cutting the pepperonis into heart shape. Fold and cut/trim into the shape of a heart…just as you would fold and cut a piece of paper into a heart. Place on top of the cheese and make pizza as directed.
• Brownies – Secretly send heart shaped brownies with your kids or spouse to lunch/work. What a fun surprise for their lunch!
• Chocolate Covered Strawberries – Remove the stem and spoon out a small divot in the top of the strawberry to make it look heart shaped. Dip in melted chocolate and let harden on parchment or wax paper.
• Cookies – Add some red food coloring to sugar cookie dough. Roll out and cut into heart shapes…then bake and add some pink frosting and sprinkles. If you want a quicker cookie idea, just shape the dough of any cookie into a flat heart shape and bake. Make the top two parts of the heart far apart from each other, because those two “bumps” will bake together, giving a nice heart shape at the top.
Do you have any food traditions for Valentine’s Day? Do you send anything special to work or school for your beloveds?