Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Healthy Super Bowl Snacks | Family Economics
It’s time to cheer on your favorite football team. After weeks and months of battling every weekend, they have reached the pinnacle for the year. Energy is high, blood is pumping and adrenaline is flowing.
There’s usually not a whole lot of time to prepare snacks for the big game—especially healthy snacks. I’ll leave you with three uber-quick and uber-simple recipes that will keep all the fans happy, and keep you out of the kitchen and in with all the action!
There is nothing tastier on this planet than a homemade guacamole. It is by far my most favorite food. It’s healthful, filling and slightly addictive. It’s just perfect.
And as you can see, it only takes some lemon juice and a few spices to make an amazing guacamole!
3 ripe avocados
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon salt and pepper, each
Tortilla chips and/or vegetable crudités
1. Slice the avocados in half and remove the seeds. Scoop the flesh into a mixing bowl and mash until smooth, or reaches desired consistency.
2. Stir in the lemon juice, garlic powder, ground cumin and salt and pepper. Other mix-in ideas: diced tomato, chopped onion, sour cream, chopped red or green pepper.
3. Serve the homemade guacamole with tortilla chips or vegetable crudités.
Turkey and Pepper Pinwheels
These pinwheels are fabulous because you can change up the color of the peppers to “match” those of your favorite team. Those pictured above would work perfectly for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Use all red peppers if you are rooting for the Arizona Cardinals or orange peppers if you are a Cincinnati Bengals fan! Get creative and show off your team spirit!
1 8 oz. block cream cheese, softened
½ cup sour cream
1 teaspoon dill
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
4 burrito-size whole wheat tortillas
Sliced deli meat – turkey, ham or chicken
Red, yellow or green peppers, seeded and sliced
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese and sour cream. Mix in the dill, garlic powder, parsley and salt and pepper.
2. Spread the cream cheese mixture in a thick layer over the tortilla. Add the sliced deli meat and sliced peppers and roll up the tortilla. The cream cheese will help it stick together.
3. Slice the rolled tortilla in half-inch slices and serve chilled.
4. If you are preparing ahead of time, keep chilled under plastic wrap until time to serve.
Triple Berry Trifle
This dessert, or sweet side dish, can be ready in just five minutes; and it’s loaded with antioxidants. The perfect balance of sweetness, fruitiness, and creaminess!
1 quart strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 pint raspberries
1 pint blueberries
1 small angel food cake
1-2 cups whipped cream
1. Rinse and pat dry all the berries; place in a mixing bowl.
2. Slice the angel food cake into one inch-size cubes.
3. Layer the berries, angel food cake pieces and whipped cream in a trifle dish.
4. To serve, spoon into shallow bowls or small cups. Enjoy!