Friday, November 12, 2010
Spiced Pumpkin Latte - Homemade Holiday Drink | Family Economics
With autumn in full swing and temperatures dropping more and more each week, I find myself moving into hibernating mode. I want to feel warm and cozy, both inside and out.
As someone who doesn’t like caffeine, and who has never liked the taste of coffee, I’m caught in a tough place. I hear the rave reviews about Frappuccino®, lattes, mochas and the other tasty treats on the coffee house’s menu. I wish I liked coffee, decaf anyways. I would really like to enjoy a cup of java. I would, really. But I just don’t like it.
Then I discovered the deliciously, sweet, cinnamony taste of a spiced pumpkin latte. All the different flavors are bold enough to mask the taste of coffee.
Spiced Pumpkin Latte Recipe
• 2 cups whole milk
• ¼ cup canned pure pumpkin puree
• ¼ cup sugar or other sweetener
• 1 tablespoon vanilla
• 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
• 1 cup strong coffee, or 2 espresso shots
1. In a saucepan, whisk together the milk, pumpkin and sugar. Heat until it starts to bubble.
2. Stir in the vanilla and pumpkin pie spice and continue warming for another minute.
3. Just as it starts to bubble, stir in the coffee or espresso. Remove from heat.
4. Serve with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
(Makes 2 large cups worth)
I can make this great recipe at home and save money. Or I can go out and I feel like less of a goof because I can actually enjoy a cup of coffee with a friend! As long as it’s a spiced pumpkin latte!
Do you require heavy flavoring to cover the bitter coffee taste? What are your favorite flavors?