RACINE, Wis., May 24, 2012 – More than 180,000 bugs* will pass through your yard this summer, and with this year’s abnormal weather conditions, bugs may be even more prevalent than ever**. On top of that, seasonal weather damage gives some bugs an easy entry point into your home through cracks and other areas.
To educate families on the best ways to identify and beat bugs this summer, Raid® is partnering with Steven Kutcher, who has 35 years of experience as an entomology consultant in Hollywood and worked on more than 100 movies involving bugs, including “Spiderman,” “Arachnophobia” and “National Treasure 2.” Known as the “Bug Guy” in Hollywood, Kutcher has learned quick and easy ways to keep bugs under control.
“Working with bugs on the big screen is one thing, but dealing with a bug problem in your home is no laughing matter,” says Kutcher. “Atypical and fluctuating weather conditions have caused the bug season to start earlier, leaving many homes vulnerable to unwanted bug infestations.”
With Raid® and Steven’s easy tips, homeowners can help protect their homes and attack unwanted bugs. In addition to the already robust lineup of Raid® products, Raid® has added Raid Max® Bed Bug & Flea Killer and Raid® Ant Gel to its portfolio.
“With the new offerings from Raid®, our focus this year is to provide homeowners with the education and tools they need to be prepared for bug problems they may face this season,” says Kelly M. Semrau, Senior Vice President – Global Corporate Affairs, Communication and Sustainability at SC Johnson.
Steven’s Bug Smarts
To help families keep their homes safe from unwanted insects and pests, Kutcher offers a few of his favorite tips:
- The Rule of One – Where there is one bug, there are often many! Keep the house clean, and use Raid Max® Bug Barrier to help control bugs from entering in the first place. If you do see an insect, be sure to monitor how many you see in your home. If you see more than one you may have a problem, so take action.
- Tackle Your Do-It-Yourself Projects – Bugs enter the home for food, water, protection from the weather and simply by accident. Be sure to tackle your outdoor and indoor DIY projects to repair any winter damage including weather stripping windows and doors and filling in any cracks in the wall or flooring. The more prepared your home is for summer the less likely insects and other pests can get in.
- Know Your Bug – If you have a pesky bug you cannot control, catch it and do your research! Put the bug in a glass container and further examine it while doing online research and finding suggestions to keep them out of the house. Visit Bug University at www.RaidKillsBugs.com for pictures of common household pests.
- Treat Bugs at the Source – Once you know what kind of bug problem you have, the next step is to treat the problem at its source. Raid® offers a trusted and effective line of products for killing and clearing homes of a variety of unwanted pests, including two products - Raid Max® Bed Bug & Flea Killer and Raid® Ant Gel – new to the portfolio.
- Don’t Bring Bugs Home – Shopping at a local flea market or garage sale is a fun way to spend summer days, but beware as bugs may be near! Be sure to check the purchases you make at each location for signs of insects including actual bugs. It’s easy to get an infestation if you bring unwanted bugs into your home.
Raid® has a wide array of reliable products to help families attack bugs inside the home. The latest bug-fighting additions include:
- Raid® Ant Gel – New to Raid®, the Raid® Ant Gel helps homeowners to discreetly and easily kill ants for up to one month; MSRP $4.99
- Raid Max® Bed Bug & Flea Killer – New to Raid®, Raid Max® Bed Bug & Flea Killer is designed to kill bed bugs on contact and fleas where they hide; MSRP $8.99
Additional products include:
- Raid® Ant & Roach Killer – Kills ants and cockroaches on contact and keeps killing for up to four weeks; MSRP $3.99
- Raid Max® Bug Barrier – Helps homeowners take measures against a wide variety of household pests including ants, roaches, silverfish, centipedes and Boxelder bugs among others; MSRP starts at $4.99
- Raid® Wasp & Hornet Killer – Kills wasps, hornets and yellow jackets on contact and also kills the entire nest; MSRP $4.99
For more information about the full Raid® product line, visit www.raidkillsbugs.com
About SC Johnson
SC Johnson is a family-owned and managed business dedicated to innovative, high-quality products, excellence in the workplace and a long-term commitment to the environment and the communities in which it operates. Based in the USA, the company is one of the world's leading manufacturers of household cleaning products and products for home storage, air care, and pest control. It markets such well-known brands as GLADE®, KIWI®, OFF!®, PLEDGE®, RAID®, SCRUBBING BUBBLES®, SHOUT®, WINDEX® and ZIPLOC® in the U.S. and beyond, with brands marketed outside the U.S. including AUTAN®, BAYGON®, TANA®, BAMA®, BRISE®, KLEAR®, MR. MUSCLE® and RIDSECT®. The 126-year old company, generates nearly $9 billion in sales, employs 13,000 people globally and sells products in virtually every country around the world. www.scjohnson.com
*Number of bugs passing through the yard are attributed to an experiment conducted by Entomologist Steven Kutcher over the summer months
**National Pest Management Association, 2012
# # #