Friday, November 04, 2011
Cloth Diapers: An Easy Everyday Green Alternative
Cloth diapers used to mean cloths and diaper pins, but now there is a wide assortment of amazing cloth diapers on the market. With so many cloth diaper advancements, it is easier than ever to use them all the time.
Cloth diaper features:
1. Various sizes to fit your child
2. Leg gussets help prevent leaks
3. Fold back tabs so the Velcro doesn’t stick to other things in the laundry
4. Waterproof, yet breathable outer fabric that is soft and durable
Benefits of using cloth diapers instead of disposable:
1. Cloth diapers decompose much more quickly than disposable diapers (about 250-500 years more quickly*).
2. Cloth diaper use reduces waste in our landfills because disposable diapers are the third largest single-consumer item in landfills.*
3. Cloth diapers reduce the use of raw materials. According to the National Association of Diaper Services, over 300 pounds of wood, 50 pounds of petroleum feedstocks, and 20 pounds of chlorine are used to produce disposable diapers for one baby each year!
Also, don't forget to use an eco-friendly laundry detergent when washing your cloth diapers!
Do you have any cloth diapering stories or suggestions to share? What kind do you prefer?
*According to the Women’s Environmental Network.