Friday, March 30, 2012
Digital Coupons 101 | Family Economics
Digital coupons are paperless coupons. They don’t have to be clipped or kept in a binder or folder. They won’t get lost between the house and your grocery store. They are a wonderful way to spend less money on groceries…and are perfect for consumers who don’t want the paper fuss!
Digital coupons are also commonly called “e-coupons.”
How it Works
1. Login or register with the website that offers digital coupons. (See websites below.)
2. Set up your account and enter your store loyalty card number. This number is found on the back of your card, or the little card on your key ring.
3. Load your coupons to your store loyalty card. (While the load should be immediate, most sites recommend loading at least 1 hour before you plan to use them.)
4. Add the products to your grocery cart and use your store loyalty card at checkout. The amount of the coupon will be deducted from your total bill, or deposited back into your account, depending on the company.
5. Enjoy the savings!
6. Note: Digital coupons do not double in value, even in stores that “double coupons.”
Who Offers Digital Coupons
1. U-Promise – This college savings program offers coupons that can be loaded to your grocery and some drugstore store loyalty cards. The coupon amount used is not deducted from your total bill, but rather “deposited back” into your college savings fund with U-promise.
2. SavingStar – This digital coupon company allows your coupon savings to be “deposited back” into your account. You can then use the savings amounts (Learn more about SavingStar coupons).
3. Cellfire – The digital coupons loaded from Cellfire.com will be automatically deducted from your purchase when they scan your store loyalty card that has been loaded with the coupons.
4. Grocery Store Websites – Kroger stores and its affiliates offer store specific digital coupons through their website, as does Meijer. Other major grocery retailers also offer these coupons, and those that don’t offer them now won’t be too far behind in getting them added to their store websites.
Tips for Using Digital Coupons
1. After loading them to your card, print out the list of coupons you have saved to your card. Take that list with you in the store so you can be sure to get the right product for that coupon into your cart.
2. Digital coupons and paper coupons are not to be used together on the same product. Both kinds are manufacturer’s coupons and they don’t allow two of their coupons to be used on the same product.
3. Always check over your receipt to make sure that your digital coupons were in fact deducted from your total.
Do you use digital coupons? If so, how often? Please leave questions or comments and we’ll try to help you get to saving more at the store!