Tuesday, June 14, 2011
Baked Eggs with Zesty Tomatoes and Cilantro | Family Economics
This is one of those breakfast recipes that sounds very fancy. The truth is, it’s easy to make but makes you look good!
It’s one of those recipes that after you make it the first time, it will become part of the weekly breakfast rotation and before you know it, you’re whipping it up with the same ease as making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and macaroni and cheese.
I now give you my favorite way to make baked eggs…with a little Mexican flavor and flare!
Baked Eggs with Zesty Tomatoes and Cilantro
3 small tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
½ teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper
4 teaspoons milk or cream
4 springs fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a small 8-inch skillet or omelet pan, sauté the diced tomatoes, chopped onion and crushed garlic for five to seven minutes, or until sauce forms.
3. Season with the ground cumin and some salt and pepper.
4. Pour the tomato sauce into the bottom of four ramekins.
5. Crack one egg into each ramekin.
6. Spoon about one teaspoon over milk onto each egg.
7. Season with a little salt and pepper.
8. Place each ramekin on a baking sheet before putting into the oven.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 13 to 15 minutes, or until egg white has cooked and set.
10. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
11. Sprinkle a few cilantro leaves over each egg before serving.
12. Serve baked eggs with zesty tomatoes and cilantro for breakfast with a piece of toast and fresh fruit.
Have you ever baked eggs? If not, you should definitely try, they are simple and delicious!