Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Sweet and Spicy Asparagus as a Special Occasion Side Dish | Family Economics
Asparagus is a great special occasion side dish. I typically just roast it in some olive oil, salt and pepper with a little Parmesan cheese. And while that is simple and delicious, I thought it was time for something a little “sassier.”
A little sweet from the brown sugar and a lot of spice from the jalapeno makes for a delicious flavor combination for asparagus. Try it at your next family meal!
1 pound asparagus
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Spread the asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet.
2. Seed and chop the jalapeno.
3. In a small mixing bowl, stir together the chopped jalapeno, brown sugar, and olive oil.
4. Once combined, drizzle over the asparagus spears.
5. Roast on the baking sheet at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, turning once during the roasting time.
6. Serve warm with your meal.
What’s your favorite way to “dress up” asparagus?