Tuesday, January 4, 2011
Healthy Snacks for Your Resolutions in the New Year | Family Economics
Did you make a New Year’s resolution to lose weight? Or to get fit? Or to eat more healthy foods?
First off, let me challenge you with this – eating healthier foods and losing weight starts (in part) with what you put into your grocery cart. If you load your cart with the junk, you’re not going to succeed. But if you rid your cupboards, fridge and freezer of your trigger foods, and begin to fill them with foods and snacks like those listed below, you’ll be well on your way to success!
Next, I’d challenge you to incorporate these 10 healthy snacks into your weekly eating routine.
1. Hummus with carrots or celery sticks – Dip, baby dip! And a healthy dip at that.
2. Dried fruit and nut trail mix –—Use raisins and peanuts. Or you could try pecans, almonds and cranberries. If you need a touch of sweetness, mix in some all-natural chocolate chips.
3. Cheese slices – Purchase a block of low-fat cheese and slice off a few pieces for a snack. Cheese is filling, won’t leave you craving more sweetness, and is high in calcium.
4. Fresh popped popcorn – Pop some raw kernels in an air popper, or in a large pot on the stove top. Sprinkle with lemon pepper, or garlic salt and pepper, or perhaps a little cinnamon-sugar mixture. No butter, margarine or fats needed.
5. Apple slices with all-natural peanut butter – Scoop up some peanut butter with a slice of your favorite apple variety.
6. Vanilla yogurt with fresh berries – Purchase the large containers of plain or vanilla yogurt. Spoon some into a bowl and cover with fresh berries.
7. Avocado slices with lemon juice – Sprinkle a few drops of lemon juice over a slice of avocado and then add a dash of salt.
8. Crackers with fat-free cottage cheese – Drop a dollop of cottage cheese on a whole wheat cracker.
9. Turkey roll-up – Slice a piece of turkey, roll it up in a whole wheat tortilla and add a dab of honey-mustard.
10. Fresh fruit – Clementines or Mandarin oranges, lunchbox apples and grapes are the perfect on-the-go fruit snack.
Simple, wholesome ingredients, combined in ways that provide balanced nutrition and a complete snack are sure to help you find the new you in the New Year.
When you find yourself craving chocolate or sweets, what healthy foods can you eat to fend off the temptation?