Wednesday, August 03, 2011
Using Social Media to Save | Family Economics
Are you in need of coupons? If so, you’d be pleased to know that saving coupons is just one tweet or Facebook “like” away. Sometimes it does pay to be socially connected!
Whether you are on the go or searching at home to find the best deals, there are several places that should be on your radar for social media savings. Here are just a few:
• Twitter. When you follow brands on Twitter you are usually the first to learn about a hot promotion. Create a “deals” list on your page so you can conveniently and quickly check tweets from your favorite brands to see what deals are available.
• Facebook. There are many deals available on Facebook. By "liking" your favorite company, you can be ready for any hot freebies, coupons or promotions that may pop up in your newsfeed. Many companies offer Facebook "exclusive" deals, so be sure to "like" them so you can be in the know!
• Check-in and save! Foursquare and other hyper-local mobile apps are popping up all the time. By “checking in” via a smartphone app or SMS (text messaging), users share their location with friends while collecting points and virtual badges. Some companies use foursquare to engage with consumers. Whenever you “check in” on your foursquare app, these companies are rewarding users with a coupon or another savings alternative.
• E-mail Newsletters. If a daily "social" Web surf isn't your thing, then definitely sign up for the company's e-mail newsletter. Many times, exclusive coupons are mailed to e-mail newsletter recipients. Sometimes these coupons are unique to newsletter readers, so you can only take advantage if you receive the newsletter. Make sure to take advantage of SC Johnson’s Right@Home e-newsletter to save on SC Johnson products.
• Google it! Find a coupon code quickly by doing a Google search of the company's name and the word "coupon." Keep in mind that you may get several results, so be sure that the deals you find are still active.
• Find a Blog. Many coupon blogs, including mine at SavingsLifestyle.com, will help you find ways to save on your favorite products. Select a few to follow and stay informed on hot deals all the time!
What other social media tips do you have to help with financial savings?