Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Top Five Must-Have Crafting Supplies | Family Economics
Here is my list of crafting supply must-haves. These supplies will have you ready for most basic crafting needs. I keep these items at my fingertips for all my crafting projects.
1. Scissors: These are an important part of almost any craft project. A good pair of scissors is what you'll want for cutting fabric and a plethora of other things.
2. Rotary Cutter and Self Healing Mat: Rotary cutters make it so easy to cut a straight line, especially with a clear measuring ruler to aid you. The healing mat is a major must-have, saving your table from cuts. These usually come in a kit together and I highly suggest you have them on hand.
3. Needle and Thread: You never know when you're going to need to patch up a hole in your pants, sew on a button or bind a quilt. Most fabric/craft shops sell a basic needle package that includes a variety of needle sizes. For your thread, start with white and black thread, you'll use those for most of your projects.
4. Paper Trimmer: For cutting paper, you want it to be as straight as possible. It's a good idea to have a 12 inch paper cutter/slicer on hand. It is perfect for making cards and trimming paper edges.
5. Hot Glue Gun: If you don't sew, you can glue. A hot glue gun is great for fusing anything together. Other glues that are great for paper are a simple glue stick or glue dots. But I like to have a hot glue gun on hand for fabric or more heavy duty projects. (Warning: a glue gun is very hot. Please be careful and have an ice cold bowl of water on hand for an emergency.)