Helping People Develop
We take people development seriously. At every level, in every discipline, SC Johnson offers ways to help its employees grow.
The company’s global Organization & Talent Development group offers learning opportunities in topics like:
- Project leadership
- Essentials of management
- Change management
- Consumer insights
- Performance management
Plus, e-learning opportunities cover more than 170 topics and are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
At our largest global factory, in Racine, Wisconsin, the company’s award-winning LINK program offers free accredited college courses right at the plant. More than 160 courses are offered.
SC Johnson has a formal and rigorous performance management process designed to ensure that all employees get the input they need to grow professionally. Its five phases include:
1. Objective Setting: Employees work with their managers to determine major areas of responsibility.
2. Ongoing Feedback: Managers provide employees with feedback throughout the year.
3. Ongoing Coaching: Managers and employees discuss what did or didn’t work.
4. Performance Review: Managers sit down with employees to review fiscal year performance.
5. Career Development Planning: Employees formulate a development plan based on their manager’s input and coaching.
In a typical year, more than 200 mentor/mentee pairs take part in SC Johnson’s U.S. mentoring program alone. Pairs partner for 18 months, with the mentee setting the objectives for the relationship through a formal agreement process. A Mentoring Steering Committee identifies optimal mentor/mentee pairs based on work experiences, shared interests, skill sharing and more.
SC Johnson also has a Mentoring Up program that turns the tables on the traditional mentor/mentee relationship. In Mentoring Up, the lower-level employee serves as a mentor to a higher-level or executive employee.
Also, the Executive Shadowing program gives employees an opportunity to shadow an executive and learn about their roles and responsibilities.